Search This Blog

Does Anyone Know What Time It Is? I've Looked at Clouds from Both Sides Now, Key Largo, Another One Bites the Dust

 I may be a little more chatty today. About half of the remaining days of the trip we will be visiting or meeting friends so my blogging time will be limited.

We all had a lousy night's sleep last night. Our hotel in Danville, IL was right near the Indiana border. Indiana is in a different time zone from Illinois. So my phone wasn't sure what time zone it was in. In the sleeping area of our hotel room it was in the Central Time Zone but in the bathroom it was in the Eastern Time Zone. Thom had a similar problem. I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and saw it was a little bit before 6:00 AM time to get up. I got back to the sleeping area and Claudia asked me what time it was. I looked at my phone and it was a little bit before 5:00 AM. I had another hour to sleep. Grrr. Obviously my phone didn't know what time it was.

We didn't have any major problems on the ride. At one point, we rode past a sign that said the temperature was 86 degrees. Then in the afternoon some clouds were blocking the sun and it "cooled" off to the low 80's. I thought about in Kansas and Missouri we found the clouds annoying because it meant rain. Now we found the clouds helpful because it cooled off. I guess I have looked at clouds from both sides now.

Here are Thom and I at the Indiana border. Please note I have less of a scowl on my face. This is our ninth state. I only have six more to perfect my selfie pose. So another state bit the dust.


At one point in our ride we went past a field of mustard. I thought I would share a picture of the yellow flowers.



When we were in the west we saw several of these buildings with an upside down funnel on top. We saw this one today in Indiana. Does anyone know what they are? We think it has something to do with air traffic control or weather radar.

Did I mention where we ended up today? Not Key Largo but Kokomo. I guess the Beach Boys would be happy. 

By the way if you are planning a cross country bike ride, don't count on there being places to eat in every town. Between Covid and changing demographics there aren't as many restaurants. Also in the Midwest some places are closed on Sunday. Thom and I took 2 breaks today sitting on the curb at a gas station drinking a Gatorade and eating crackers.

Here is today's ride on Strava:


PROGRESS

We have less than 1,000 miles to go. We have had four days in a row of more than 90 miles. We have ridden twelve days in a row. We know we should take a break but the end is actually in sight. Here's the table:


TOMORROW

Another word of caution if you are planning a cross country ride, the bicycling directions from any of the mapping programs are not consistent. Tomorrow we are staying in Celina, Ohio. Some time next week/weekend we will be in Rochester. At diner we were talking about how far it was to Rochester. According to Google Maps Bike Directions it was 561 miles from Kokomo to Rochester. Also according to Google Maps it is 90 miles from Kokomo to Celina. Also according to Google Maps it is 461 miles from Celina to Rochester. So we will save 10 miles by going through Celina. As I was getting ready to write this Claudia and I reran the numbers and it added 10 miles going through Celina. Will wonders never cease?

Comments

  1. Have you thought about becoming a song writer? :) Good luck to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up in California, we played in mustard fields like that. The mustard was so tall we would tie the tops together to make tunnels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts