Search This Blog

It's only Rock and Roll but I like it or Oops I did it Again

I mentioned the other day that there was a chance of rain for yesterday and today. Well it did rain yesterday and there was no riding. The three of us took the opportunity to tour the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Here is a shot of the three of us in a portion of the set from this past year's Super Bowl. I guess I can take selfies without scowling if I have my regular glasses on and haven't been riding a bike for awhile

I also mentioned that we had made hotel reservations in Ashtabula, Ohio for last night since we were meeting our across the street neighbors from Rochester, Paul and MaryLynn. We decided before we left yesterday, that it made sense to make reservations to stay in Elyria in the same hotel we stayed at Thursday night. We arranged to have our bikes stored at the hotel. The bikes were a little disappointed that they didn't get to see the Hall of Fame or meet Paul and MaryLynn but they enjoyed the alone time. 


Here's a picture of the five of us at dinner in Ashtabula. I can't say I would recommend the restaurant but it was great to reconnect with Paul and MaryLynn. They were a lot of laughs and remembrances of our times in Rochester.
This morning while the five of us were having breakfast, a gentleman walked over and said he heard us talking about our bike ride. He and his wife were riding from Boston to Newport, Oregon. They had just started. We exchanged advice about road conditions. 

Also this morning the rain that was forecast for the whole day was now expected to stop by 9:00 AM. Thom and I thought we might get a ride in. We arrived back at the hotel in  Elyria, retrieved our bikes and changed into our biking clothes in the rest room.

Before I talk about our ride I should mention our hotel in Elyria. It is located in the Midway Mall. Thom looked up the history of the mall. At one time it had 5 anchor stores. Now it has zero. It was really spooky looking. It reminded me of a modern day version of Cuervo, New Mexico which was an abandoned town in New Mexico. It also reminded me of a portion of the book Gone Girl where there were gangs hanging out in an abandoned mall. The hotel was fine but the location was weird. 

Thom and I started on our ride in what I would call a blustery headwind. It was blowing between 20 and 30 MPH directly into our face for most of the ride. Several times the gusts were strong enough to blow the bikes and us around. We were glad we went through downtown Cleveland on the weekend and there was no traffic. We finished our ride at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The bikes were happy to see the outside of the museum. I was happy to get a picture of the flags blowing outside the museum.


So what does Brittany Spears and Oops! I did it again have to do with the last two days? It seems like every time we make plans more than a day in advanced the weather changes. Paul and MaryLynn would have met us in Elyria but I said lets do it in Ashtabula. That meant we drove 100 miles each way back and forth to Ashtabula. Of course if I knew we could ride today, we could have saved 30 miles from the back and 30 miles from tomorrow morning. But who really cares, we got a bonus ride in today.

Here is the ride on Strava: 

Before I talk about our progress, I should mention two good meals we had today. Thom and I had lunch at Nuevo Modern Mexican and Tequila Bar. I had shrimp tacos and Thom had vegetarian tacos. Then at dinner tonight we went to the Foundry in downtown Elyria. Thom and Claudia both thought they had their best meals of the trip. For me the biscuits and gravy in Ludlow is still number one.

PROGRESS

It's funny how less than 30 miles can make a difference. We didn't expect any miles. Now we are less than 700 miles from home. Here is the table you all have been waiting for:

TOMORROW

We are hoping to reach Pennsylvania and Thom's high school. I think visiting his high school is the only reason Thom is on the trip.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts