Search This Blog

I Feel Fine or Free

 


Yes We Made It!

I have received a few emails and texts expressing concern whether we had finished since I haven't blogged for two days. We are OK.  After the ride on Sunday we had a mini celebration at the finish, then several people came to our house and then Claudia and I went out to dinner and talked with some neighbors. Yesterday was starting the unpacking process and some chores. Today by 10:00 AM I have already gone for a short (11 mile ride), had the car washed, went to the drug store, programmed the garage door opener in the car and I have only scratched the surface of my "to do list."

Let's start with Sunday's ride. I think I mentioned that Claudia drove home on Saturday. Without Claudia's input, Thom and I went cheap on our hotel for Saturday. Big Mistake. I woke up feeling dirtier than I did after the ride on Saturday. Given the heat and no breakfast we voted to leave early (6:45AM) on Sunday. Tim from the ADA joined us so he and his wife stayed in the same hotel. I'm not sure Marlena will forgive me for the hotel. We stopped at a Dunkin for breakfast and then began our 60 to 65 mile trek to the Rhode Island border. 

We encountered road construction that made us ride on roads that had been scarified but not paved, bike paths that didn't exist, bridge construction that we knew about but still had to modify our route and the UCONN campus that wasn't conducive to our type of bike riding. I hope Tim doesn't mind me saying this but he seemed more perturbed by these issues than Thom or I. At one point Thom said "go this way" and we went. Another time I took the lead and said "This way." Away we went. Tim used the expression of once the horse smells the barn you can't stop it. Something like that but Thom and I were moving. 

When we stopped for a break at a convenience store, Tim bought a bag of ice. He didn't care if we used it all but said we should put ice in our water bottles and hydration back packs. A great idea. Also at the stop, a person pulled up in a truck and noticed Thom and my jersey. He asked if we were really riding from Bay to Bay. When we said yes , he replied "Awesome!"  He kept repeating it and may have added a few words before awesome. 

As we were riding in eastern Connecticut either Thom or I would say "We've ridden on these roads!" Then we would talk about which ride it was. As we got closer to Rhode Island I couldn't stop smiling. Initially I was worried that I would be too excited and ride too fast and let the heat get me. Somehow I managed to keep it under control.

I haven't mentioned this yet but about 3 or 4 days ago, I lost my granny gear. What that means is that my bike would no longer stay in the easiest gear but would just shift into the next harder gear. I probably need a new chain but I wasn't going to stop our momentum to have it fixed. It was annoying on the hills but so be it.


We made it to Rhode Island and I really couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Tim took the picture so I didn't have my selfie scowl,

We were now on roads I have ridden hundreds of times.  A few miles ahead we ran into Tom who was the first Rhode Island rider to greet us. We rode a few miles further and three of the Cedar Street Posse (Felipe, Bob and George) were there to meet us. I call the Cedar Street Posse, The Big Boys because they are all stronger riders than me.  George is a real inspiration. He is 78 and an amazing rider. A little bit ahead was the Summit General Store. Two of Thom's friends from Providence (Jeremy and Gary) were there. The ADA had a table set up with fresh oranges. Yeah. A big surprise was one of my college roommates Steve was there and Kathi a friend from RI was there as well. Then Jason another person I ride with showed up. It meant a lot to me.

Here's a video that Felipe took of Thom and I riding down the Washington Secondary Bike Path. During our careers Thom and I were both involved with developing the path.


A few miles further we were joined by about 10 or so riders from Central Falls where Thom is now working. Among those joining us was Mayor Rivera. It was fun to have such a large group. As we approached Narragansett Bay, Thom kept reminding me, that we put our front wheels in the water or else we are going to have to ride back to California. 

Below are just a few of the pictures taken at the finish. I have to thank  our neighbors Elaine, Jim, Bernie, Paula, George, Jeff and Thomasine for working out the logistics. Of course Thom's wife Angela was there. Thom's friend Arthur who I have heard so many stories about was there as well. Among the refreshments was some Narragansett Beer from Kevin. It was great. It was great. It was great.



























PROGRESS

Here's the table in a much more readable format. I just needed some alone time to figure it out.


YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW

It's catch up time. As I mentioned I did manage to sneak a short 11 mile ride in this morning. It was on one of my Rhode Island Bikes. I noticed that the seat was a little higher and I wondered if I should have raised the seat on the bike I used for the trip. I also forgot to put on my biking glasses. I was on a bike path for most of the ride so it didn't matter. It was interesting riding with no great purposed.

A few minutes ago, I was greeted by a singing telegram from a cow at our front door. He sang a medley of songs I have quoted in the blog. It was from our friends in California Tia, Michael and Thea. Claudia knew something was up so she alerted the neighborhood and we had quite a herd of people listening to the cow.

A few questions people ask us the most:
  • What was the scariest moment? For me, I was riding into Mohave, CA. The wind was gusting in the 30's. I was riding at a diagonal to the wind. I was on a road not open to traffic that was 2 lanes in either direction and a shoulder as wide as lane on either side. I was getting blown all over the place. I thought if I got blown over no one would ever find me.  For me about Thom, when we were riding into Liberal, KS we were in an industrial park with concrete roads. Thom's tire momentarily caught in the crack. I envisioned him falling and being injured but he he recovered and never fell.
  • What were you worried about? I thought a minor injury, mechanical issue or family emergency would prevent us from finishing. It never happened.
  • When did you think you were really going to finish? When we crossed the Mississippi I thought it was going to happen. When we started riding in NY, I knew only a fluke could keep it from happening. When we were on the bike path in the video above, I knew we were going to make it.
  • Would you do it again? NO!
  • How do you feel? As Thom and I were riding down the Washington Secondary I told him I was singing an old Cream song "I Feel Fine." When I looked up the words to write this blog, I laughed at myself. The song is "I Feel Free." Well I feel fine and free. Thanks for listening and don't forget to make your donations.

Comments

  1. What an amazing adventure! Thank you and Thom for keeping us up to date as some of us were living vicariously through the two of you. Congratulations on an incredible accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich you should have been singing "I feel good" by James Brown. The right beat for how we were feeling as we rode down the bike path. I will take my first ride early tomorrow morning as I had to dive into work as well as catch up on house chores on my return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to the both of you on your amazing feat!! Good for you! How brave, determined and yes, also crazy!! Thanks for the blog.... It was fun dropping in to see where you both were, and I'm in awe of the number of miles you'd rode each day. Hope you keep patting yourselves on your backs for a very long time..... Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic adventure! Congratulations!!! So glad we had the chance to meet up and ride in Rochester.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts